Episode #32: Tips for Dismantling the Dysfunction of Accountability
In today’s workplaces, accountability has become part of a leader’s role they increasingly avoid. They steer clear of difficult conversations, let employees miss deadlines, and waste precious time and resources, all to the detriment of the organization. Impulsiveness, entitlement, and emotions which create more drama than results are no longer held in check by leaders who are supposed to be managing and developing performance. Everyone is noticing the bar slipping from high to mediocre performance as a result, with leaders doing nothing to stop the decline.
Recent research conducted by the Futures Company found that the average worker spends over 2 hours per day engaged in the drama of some sort – arguing, venting, resisting change, or just not aligning with the organization’s needs. A lack of accountability has proven to be one of the key sources of workplace drama. This behavior zaps the happiness of staff while costing the organization millions of dollars annually. Imagine how much more beneficial it would be if that time and energy could be recaptured and put toward issue resolution, performance mastery, and productivity!
In today’s episode, we discuss the Dysfunction of Accountability and share some practical tips that you can start using today if this dysfunction is causing your organization to suffer. We’ll also share real client stories that illustrate just how common this dysfunction is. Tune in to find out tips on how you and your organization can help dismantle the Dysfunction of Accountability especially if it’s suffocating your organization’s success.
If you want to know more about Anne & Heather’s work with dismantling dysfunctions in organizations and leadership behavior at Caliber Leadership Systems, check out:
Stop contributing to organizational dysfunction. Pick up your copy of So, You Think You Can Lead?: A Guide to Developing Your Leadership Authority and Potential
Make sure you sign up for our weekly newsletters for tips on how to dismantle dysfunction and develop your leaders: https://bit.ly/dismantlingdysfunction
Are you dealing with an organizational dysfunction you need help with? Or do you have a story you would like to share on our show? Contact us at email@example.com.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [01:45] Episode introduction and overview
- [06:38] Create an accountability framework
- [08:50] Set leadership expectations
- [12:58] Manage performance to expectations
- [16.12] Episode gem and practical takeaway
- [17.59] Episode wrap up
- Leaders give rise to the Dysfunction of Accountability when they are afraid of having difficult conversations or don’t know how to deal with opposition, defensiveness and emotionality from employees.
- Accountability is critical to high performance and to the success of an organization and its people. Without it, employees are more prone to underperform without fear of being held accountable.
- A system for accountability that includes goal-setting, corrective and supportive feedback, and employee engagement are critical components for fostering an environment that encourages accountability. When employees clearly understand the standard they are being held to and are held to account, their performance is much more likely to improve.
- Think you might be suffering from issues caused by the Dysfunction of Accountability in your workplace? Listen to the full episode to learn what you can do to start empowering yourself and fighting back against the Dysfunction of Accountability today!
Did you enjoy this episode?
If so, sign up for our newsletter and get exclusive access to some of our best content!
Plus, we’ll keep you in the loop – you’ll be among the first to know when we’ve hit “upload” on a new podcast, article, or YouTube video!