Episode #53: Dismantling the Imposter Syndrome of the 16 Personality Types
Have you ever had a dreadful thought that perhaps you’re not as competent or talented as others think you are? Or that, despite all the blood, sweat and tears, you’re not worthy of the success you’ve achieved, and it’s just a matter of time before you’re finally exposed as a fraud? If so, you’re not alone. These thoughts are actually quite common and even have a name. We present to you… the Imposter Syndrome. Yes, it’s that sneaky little voice in our heads that can make us doubt ourselves and our abilities, even when there’s significant evidence to the contrary.
Individuals with the Imposter Syndrome struggle with recognizing their own achievements and talents and instead attribute their success to luck, timing, or even deception. No matter your personality, type or style, any one of us can find ourselves struggling with the Imposter Syndrome as it is a developmental delay. According to the American Psychological Association, 70 percent of people will experience it at some point in their lives.
In today’s episode, we launch into the kickoff for our newest series of conversations around the Imposter Syndrome, and how it shows up in each of the 16 MBTI personality types and 8 Striving Styles. We’ll also share our own personal experiences with the Imposter Syndrome and how we’ve grappled with it (and ultimately learnt to conquer it!) Our stories will give you a glimpse into our own journeys and offer valuable insights into why it’s so important to power past it. So, join us as we tackle the Imposter Syndrome head-on and start on the path to greater self-awareness and self-acceptance. You won’t want to miss it!
If you want to know more about the Imposter Syndrome, check out our book, ‘Power Past the Imposter Syndrome’: https://amzn.to/40P0GvX
Make sure you sign up for our newsletters: https://bit.ly/dismantlingdysfunction
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [00:51] Episode Introduction
- [02:02] What Is the Imposter Syndrome?
- [11:47] The Imposter Syndrome & Leadership
- [14:33] Why It’s Important to Power Past the Imposter Syndrome
- [26:23] Episode Gem
- [28:07] Episode Wrap Up
- Our childhood conditioning has a huge impact on our self-worth and how we tend to neglect ourselves as a result. We become imposters, trying to fit into the mold that our parents have created for us, often suppressing our true needs. As a result, we don’t live up to our full potential and remain feeling “not enough”. It is essential to learn how to prioritize nurturing ourselves, rather than worrying about fitting in or pleasing others.
- The Imposter Syndrome can be a pervasive force that seeps into every aspect of our lives, causing anxiety, stress, and even a sense of feeling overwhelmed. It can manifest itself in our careers, relationships, and personal endeavors, slowly eroding our confidence and self-worth. Overcoming the Imposter Syndrome means acknowledging and accepting our vulnerabilities and allowing ourselves to be soft and gentle, which can be difficult in a world that values strength and toughness.
- Don’t forget to join us as we kick off our new series on how the Imposter Syndrome shows up in each of the 16 MBTI types (or 8 Striving Styles). If you are not sure what your Striving Styles / MBTI type is yet, make sure to visit www.whoareyoumeanttobe.com to complete the assessment today! Remember, if you need help dealing with behavioural or relationship dysfunctions at work or in your personal life, and you need help, reach out to us directly.