Episode #55: Dismantling the Imposter Syndrome of the ISTJ
Imagine this: you’re an ISTJ – a natural planner who is diligent in getting things done. You have your systems, processes and routines in place and you’re crushing it even when things get crazy at work. And then, out of nowhere, this pesky co-worker of yours suggests some new automated system that seems sketchy at best, that is supposed to “help everyone”. You’re all about keeping things as they are (they work fine, so what’s the point?!), but it seems like everyone else is cheering for this new idea. Does that ring a bell?
To most, ISTJs might seem like they have everything together, with their meticulous planning and attention to detail. But deep down, they can struggle with feeling like they don’t measure up. The Imposter Syndrome hits hard for ISTJs, who may worry that they don’t deserve their success or that they’re just one mistake away from being exposed as a fraud. This fear can make them dread change, as they worry that trying something new might expose their weaknesses.
In today’s episode, we’ll explore some common triggers and symptoms of Imposter Syndrome in ISTJs, such as fear of change, relationship issues and loss of career opportunities. We’ll also provide some practical strategies and tools that ISTJs can use to start building more confidence in themselves and their abilities and to start living more authentically.
Whether you’re an ISTJ struggling with Imposter Syndrome, or you know someone who is, this episode is packed with valuable insights and tips to help you overcome these challenges and thrive in both your personal and professional life. So, tune in now to learn more!
If you want to know more about the Imposter Syndrome, check out our book, ‘Power Past the Imposter Syndrome’: https://amzn.to/40P0GvX
Make sure you sign up for our newsletters: https://bit.ly/dismantlingdysfunction
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [01:46] Episode Introduction
- [02:40] Why Does the ISTJ Experience the Imposter Syndrome?
- [22:45] Negative Impact of the Imposter Syndrome on ISTJs
- [29:02] Episode Gem
- [32:23] Episode Wrap Up
- ISTJs work hard and are often the unsung heroes who keep things running smoothly in the community, their organization or family. Despite this, they frequently catastrophize about not pulling their weight or living in fear that someone’s going to say, “You’re not doing enough, you slacker!”
- ISTJs work hard to maintain the status quo due to their need for security. Any suggestion of change can trigger the Imposter Syndrome’s Saboteur. They fear that any change will expose them as an imposter who is not qualified for their job. Despite their desire to comply and follow, ISTJs can become immovable objects. Their fear is not the change itself, but the potential humiliation of being exposed as incompetent.
- ISTJs are naturally inclined to follow a hierarchy. When they have the Imposter Syndrome they feel inadequate and doubt their abilities, leading them to seek reassurance and validation from others, especially authority figures. They may feel more comfortable taking orders and complying with rules rather than making decisions on their own.
- Join us throughout our series on how the Imposter Syndrome shows up in each of the 16 MBTI types (or 8 Striving Styles). If you are not sure what your Striving Styles / MBTI type is yet, make sure to visit www.whoareyoumeanttobe.com to complete the assessment today! Remember, if you need help dealing with dysfunctions at work or in your personal life, reach out to us directly.