Episode #58: Dismantling the Imposter Syndrome of the ENTP
Imagine walking into a room and feeling an electric buzz in the air – that’s what it feels like when an ENTP is nearby! These are the people who make things happen, with an energy that’s contagious and an enthusiasm that’s impossible to ignore. They’re constantly seeking ways to shake things up, push the limits and try something new – they have a knack for thinking ahead and seeing future possibilities that others can’t even fathom.
But here’s the catch: this same strength is also their biggest weakness, leading to their version of the dreaded Imposter Syndrome. You see, ENTPs set the bar incredibly high for themselves. They envision all the possibilities for success and achievement and strive to make them a reality. However, their focus on the future causes them to feel like they’re falling short in the present (especially with those pesky little details that fall through the cracks!). They worry that they’re not making enough progress towards their goals. It’s like they’re always trying to run before they can even walk!
In today’s episode, we’ll explore the trio of symptoms of Imposter Syndrome in ENTPs – constantly seeking validation, the pursuit of perfectionism, and the need for non-stop stimulation – and how they lead to a lack of career direction, impulsive decision making and even relationship issues. We’ll also drop a gem for all ENTPs suffering from the Imposter Syndrome that will help them stay the course during challenging times, or when some bright, shiny new idea compels them to drop everything in pursuit of their perfect future.
Whether you’re an ENTP struggling with Imposter Syndrome, or you know someone who is, this episode is packed with valuable insights to help you overcome these challenges and thrive in both your personal and professional life.
If you want to know more about the Imposter Syndrome, check out our book: https://amzn.to/40P0GvX
Sign up for our newsletters: https://bit.ly/dismantlingdysfunction
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [1:38] Episode Introduction
- [3:48] Why Does the ENTP Experience Imposter Syndrome?
- [13:48] Impact of Imposter Syndrome on ENTPs
- [29:55] Episode Gem
- [32:36] Episode Wrap Up
- ENTPs have a need for recognition, and they seek affirmation and praise from those around them. They thrive on the attention of others, and their self-worth is often tied to the level of external validation they receive. This need for approval can be both a blessing and a curse, as it drives them to excel and achieve great things, but it can also lead to feelings of inadequacy and self-doubt.
- While the intellectual curiosity and openness to new experiences of the ENTP can be an asset, it can also create a sense of uncertainty and insecurity. They may question their own knowledge and understanding, doubt themselves, and double down on the need for positive feedback and validation from others.
- As high-achievers, ENTPs often hold themselves to incredibly high standards, striving for excellence in everything they do. However, because this constant striving for perfection is self-protective and inauthentic, it can also lead to a fear of failure and a sense of not measuring up.
- Join us throughout our series on how the Imposter Syndrome shows up in the 16 MBTI types (or 8 Striving Styles). If you are not sure what your Striving Styles is, visit www.whoareyoumeanttobe.com to complete the assessment! Remember, if you need help dealing with dysfunctions at work or in your personal life, reach out to us.
Did you enjoy this episode?
If so, sign up for our newsletter and get exclusive access to some of our best content!
Plus, we’ll keep you in the loop – you’ll be among the first to know when we’ve hit “upload” on a new podcast, article, or YouTube video!