Episode #62: Dismantling the Imposter Syndrome of the ENFJ
Get ready to meet the real-life supercharged caregivers of the world – the ENFJs! With their unparalleled empathy and dedication to serving others, ENFJs have a unique gift for bringing out the best in people. They’re always eager to lend a helping hand and genuinely care about the well-being of others. With top-notch interpersonal skills, ENFJs are the life of any party or team. Despite all of their remarkable qualities, ENFJs – are just like all the other MBTI types! – can still struggle with Imposter Syndrome, doubting their abilities and worth.
With their laser focus on others, ENFJs can easily forget about their own needs and goals, leading to feelings of inadequacy and unfulfillment. Their incredible sensitivity to others’ emotions and knack for seeing people’s potential can also make them susceptible to Imposter Syndrome. ENFJs have high standards for themselves and believe that everyone can achieve greatness, so they work tirelessly to help others reach their full potential. But when their advice goes unheeded, or their help isn’t wanted, they start questioning whether they’re good enough.
In today’s episode, we’ll delve into three key reasons why ENFJs are plagued with the Imposter Syndrome – their tendency to neglect themselves, difficulty accepting praise, and overidentification with the supportive, teaching and guiding roles they tend to take on. We will also explore how the ‘untreated’ Imposter Syndrome can lead to ENFJ’s difficulty maintaining authentic relationships, stifled career growth and struggle to be an effective leader. Join us for an insightful episode on overcoming Imposter Syndrome as an ENFJ, filled with valuable advice to help you thrive both personally and professionally.
If you want to know more about the Imposter Syndrome, check out our book: https://amzn.to/40P0GvX
Sign up for our newsletters: https://bit.ly/dismantlingdysfunction
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [02:03] Episode Introduction
- [04:30] Why Does the ENFJ Experience Imposter Syndrome?
- [18:14] Impact of Imposter Syndrome on ENFJs
- [35:25] Episode Gem
- [38:26] Episode Wrap Up
- ENFJs are driven by a genuine concern for others’ well-being and prioritize the needs of others above their own. While this selflessness can have positive impacts on the lives of those they help, it can also lead to self-neglect and a feeling that they don’t deserve any help for themselves. This self-neglect manifests in physical, emotional, and mental exhaustion.
- ENFJs’ idealistic nature and the Imposter Syndrome can create a barrier to forming deep, authentic connections with others. As they constantly feel that they are never good enough to achieve their ideals, they may hold themselves to unattainable standards, preventing them from fully opening up and being vulnerable with their partners, friends, or family members.
- ENFJs with Imposter Syndrome often struggle in leadership roles, as they lead with their strengths: supporting and helping others. It doesn’t come naturally for them to be directive or use their role of authority. ENFJs become overly cautious in their decision-making, second-guessing themselves and being hesitant to take decisive action.
- Join us throughout our series on how the Imposter Syndrome shows up in the 16 MBTI types (or 8 Striving Styles). If you are not sure what your Striving Styles is, make sure to visit www.whoareyoumeanttobe.com to complete the assessment! Remember, if you need help dealing with dysfunctions at work or in your personal life, reach out to us.
Did you enjoy this episode?
If so, sign up for our newsletter and get exclusive access to some of our best content!
Plus, we’ll keep you in the loop – you’ll be among the first to know when we’ve hit “upload” on a new podcast, article, or YouTube video!